Guacamole baobab dip
I love playing around with substituting baobab powder for lemon juice when I cook. I feel that I am getting so much more when I use baobab powder, think of all the calcium, magnesium, potassium and dietary fibers I am getting into my body in addition to loads of Vitamin C.
Although avocados come from Central America, avocados grow very well in South Africa and their season coincides with baobabs. So with a tub of baobab powder and some ripe avocados this fusion Guacamole was born.
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 tbsp baobab powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp thick cream (optional)
- ½ onion finely sliced
- 1 ripe tomato, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red chili, deseeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Remove and discard the avocado skins and stones and mash the avocado flesh in a bowl with a fork. Mix in the baobab powder, salt pepper and cream (optional).
- Mix the onion, tomato, chili and garlic together and add to the avocado mixture.
Serve with tortilla chips or spread on toast.